Diabetes EXPO Volunteer Job Descriptions
• Willing to Work Anywhere- If you're willing to work any job or most jobs (with exceptions), please indicated and we'll assign you where coverage is most needed. If you have special skills/experience for the volunteer job or are a health professional, please let us know so we can better place you in a volunteer assignment.
• Program Distributor- Distribute programs/schedules as people enter the exhibit hall.
• Goody Bag Distributer- Distribute goody bags to attendees as they enter the exhibit hall.
• Exit Monitor- Hand stamp attendees for re-admission, especially as they go to workshop rooms.
• Survey Collector- Collect exit surveys from participants and take their entries for prize drawings.
• Registration Tables- Check in volunteers, exhibitors and presenters. Direct them to assigned areas. Shifts for this position are 6:45 AM – 11:15 AM and 11:00 AM – 3:15 PM
• Registration Card Collection- Distribute registration cards to participants prior to entering exhibit hall. Provide direction on completing card and help control entrance line into exhibit hall.
Shifts for this position are 7:45 AM – 11:30 AM and 11:15 AM – 3:15 PM
• Workshop Monitor- Assist speaker, seek help from audio-visual technician if needed, and ensure room atmosphere/temperature is appropriate. Greet workshop participants and check to ensure they have hands stamped. Limit entry after start time. Distribute speaker survey to participants.
• Break Room Coordinator- Keep the break room neat and open for volunteers and staff.
• Traffic Director- Direct attendees to different areas, display “Ask Me” signs. Volunteers will be assigned to specific areas, such as hallways, exhibit floor, ADA Experience and Youth Zone. “Floating” traffic directors will go throughout the exhibit hall promoting presentations. Commonly asked questions and answers are provided.
• Health Screening Forms Table- Direct participants to complete health screening consent form prior to going to screening. Manage flow of participants in screening area.
• “Ask the Experts” Traffic Director- (Health Care Professionals required for this position.) Direct participants to various health professionals based on the questions they have. Manage flow of participants.
• Bookstore Assistant- Assist people with ADA book selections and location of materials. Restock items as needed and bagging items as needed.
• Cooking Demonstration Assistant- Assist chefs with preparing supplies, hand out samples and recipes, help with clean up between demonstrations. (Knowledge of safe food handling needed.)
• American Diabetes Association Experience Assistant- Help participants visiting the American Diabetes Association Experience by answering their questions and distributing ADA literature. Promote ADA events and recruit future participants and volunteers.
• Translator- Help participants visiting the Diabetes EXPO with translating information from English to one of the following: Spanish, Hmong, Somali or Sign Language in various areas at the EXPO. Ask that volunteers be proficient in language.
• Floater- Several volunteers are needed each shift to help with busy areas that need more assistance or to cover for volunteers that don’t show. Your flexibility to help where needed is appreciated!